- "appetizers" (JPS)
- "I don't want to want to tell the whole story, but I'll give you a little forshpayz, as my husband used to say." (a widow, telling the HUC community about how her husband received the Yanov torah)
Languages of Origin
- Older: Jews who are middle-aged and older
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
- Stress on first syllable.
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.