- a question, usually while looking for a halachic ruling
- I asked my Rov a shaila about the brocha on sushi.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Hebrew שְׁאֵלָה she'elá, Ashkenazi/Yiddish pronunciation [shayle]
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Frumspeak: The First Dictionary of Yeshivish, by Chaim Weiser (Northvale, 1995).
Who Uses This
shayla, shaylah, shailah, shayle, she'ela, sheilah
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.