n. A fool; a jerk.
He is such a schmoe that he believes everything he reads on the internet.
Languages of Origin
May derive from שמאָק shmok 'schmuck'
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
Who Uses This
schmoe, shmo, shmoe
Joe Schmoe is an 'average person; a nobody'
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.