- Greeting or departing line (hello or goodbye) used on or during the few days leading up to Shabbat. Literally "peaceful Sabbath."
- [on Thursday] "In case I don't see you tomorrow, Shabbat Shalom!"
Languages of Origin
- Modern Hebrew
- שבת שלום
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Australia / New Zealand
- South Africa
- Great Britain
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.