n. Candelabrum, especially for Chanukah.
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Jews: Jews of diverse religious backgrounds and organizational involvements
- Non-Jews: (words that have spread outside of Jewish networks)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
menora, m'nora, menoyre
The 7-branched menorah is a symbol of Judaism, and the 8-branched menorah (plus a shamash) is a ritual object used for Chanukah.
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.