- Ritual performed between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to remove sins carried out by swinging a chicken over ones head.
- "There were protests against kapparot sweeping across the country."
- "will be subsidizing the cost of Kaporos chickens for Crown Heights Community. The chickens will cost only $10." (http://crownheights.info/psa/401318/tonight-10-chickens-for-kaporos-in-two-locations/)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
- Singular kapore, kapora - can mean "scapegoat," "punishment."
Who Uses This
kapparot, kapores, kaporos, kaparos, kapparot
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.