"There were protests against kapparot sweeping across the country."
"will be subsidizing the cost of Kaporos chickens for Crown Heights Community. The chickens will cost only $10." (source)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- Religious: Jews who are engaged in religious observance and have some Jewish education
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- Great Britain
- South Africa
- Australia / New Zealand
- The New Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten and Lawrence Bush (New York, 2003).
- Yiddish and English: A Century of Yiddish in America, by Sol Steinmetz (Tuscaloosa, 1986).
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- Dictionary of Jewish Usage: A Popular Guide to the Use of Jewish Terms, by Sol Steinmetz (Lanham, MD, 2005).
Who Uses This
kapparot, kapores, kaporos, kaparos, kapparot
Singular kapore, kapora - can mean "scapegoat," "punishment."
Edit Something missing from this entry? Inaccurate? Feel free to suggest an edit.