- ceremony of redemption of the first-born son; celebration surrounding this ceremony
- "The mitzvah of pidyon haben - redeeming of the firstborn- applies only to the firstborn male Israelite child who is peter rechem – opens his mother's womb." (http://pidyonhaben.org/whoHasPidyonHaben.html)
Languages of Origin
- Textual Hebrew
- פדיון הבן 'lit. redemption of the son'
- Orthodox: Jews who identify as Orthodox and observe halacha (Jewish law)
- North America
- The JPS Dictionary of Jewish Words, by Joyce Eisenberg and Ellen Scolnic, (Philadelphia, 2001).
- The Joys of Hebrew, by Lewis Glinert (New York, 1992).
Who Uses This
Edit See something you disagree with? Feel free to edit it. All changes will be moderated.